What is rIQ?
Relationship IQ equips young adults for healthy relationships.
Relationship IQ (rIQ) is a ministry of the Boone Center for the Family at Pepperdine University that combines theology and social science research to reveal God's great love for us and provide the resources necessary to live in healthy relationships with Him and each other.
Started as a student outreach at Pepperdine in the fall of 2005, the unique resources of the rIQ program are available for use by churches, other academic institutions, and organizations. Through small group sessions, workshops and presentations, and mentoring, these organizations are equipped with the tools to transform the lives of the young adults in their communities.
Endorsements for rIQ
Does rIQ make a difference in young adult lives? Do they like coming?
- This experience has been a blessing. I will need the information from other classes for my career, but improving my relationships with others and God will follow me in everything I do.
- Some of my relationships have been in a bad place for awhile. This class came at the perfect time to learn how to heal those relationships and start over again.
- I learned a lot about myself and how my relationship with God will affect my relationships with men.
- I LOVE the Relationship series. They truly are informative and engaging.
- Relationship convo rocks!
- I feel so blessed to have been part of this club convo. It was really great. Thank you.
- This class has saved my relationship with my girlfriend, added a new dynamic to my friendships, and strengthened my bond with my parents.
- I used the skills we learned to resolve a major conflict we had in the dorm. I was surprised how well it worked.
- I've learned how to handle my relationships in a healthy and positive way.
- A lot of the information seemed like things someone would know to be true, but the course was able to help us put a name to things happening in our relationships that helped us to better deal with it.
- I've learned about virtues that are important to develop in order to have healthy relationships.
- I learned the importance of forgiveness.
- I learned a long successful marriage is possible.
From leaders who attended rIQ Training
Is it worth coming to a rIQ Training?
- The rIQ Training was awesome – Outstanding gathering and putting together of information. EXCELLENT.
- rIQ training was full of useful information that was presented in an inviting, motivating and engaging way. I was ready that day to round up a group of young adults and implement your program! I especially loved the many tips you gave on how to interact with young adults.
- Really enjoyed your seminar and gained much more insight into young people and what is important to them.
- This is excellent material that can be used in a variety of ways (classes for teens, young adults, parents, etc.; small groups; training staff and mentors).
- rIQ is backed up with research and psychology, which gives it credibility. Very thorough and easy to understand and implement. It's not fluff! It's essential info young adults need to hear, think about and dialogue with others.
- There are practical tools out there for help with young adults and relationships. The best one I've found is Relationship IQ! I loved the class!
Is it worth coming to a rIQ Training?
Is the Relationship IQ Leader's Manual professionally credible? Here is what our peer reviewers had to say:
What a gift is given to students in this excellent series on relationships. Hannah
Parmelee not only presents the most current information contextualized in a biblical
framework but organizes it in a friendly and engaging format. The small group discussion
and creative activities will truly be a transformative experience for those who participate.
- Judith K Balswick, EdD, Senior Professor, Fuller Theological Seminary
The Relationship IQ Leader's Manual's chapter "What About Sex?" is excellent! It is not only well-written and engaging,
it is clear that Hannah Parmelee truly understands the topics of sexuality that she
is addressing. This is a superb resource for people talking with young adults about
– Dr. Cliff and Joyce Penner, nationally renowned Christian sexual counselors, speakers, and authors
This is a great resource! The overall flow and direction of the lessons will enable
leaders to speak into the lives of young adults in meaningful ways. The Relationship
IQ Leader's Manual is a needed resource for people working with young adults. Equipping
young adults relationally prepares them for healthy and vibrant marriages.
– Greg Smalley, Vice President of Family Ministries for Focus on the Family
Hannah Parmelee's book supplies a welcome new resource for small-group discussions
of our most basic relationship: our relationship to God. The book's careful use of
Scripture and theological literature, its hand-on activities and probing questions
is sure to provoke thoughtful discussion. High School youth groups, college age groups
and other church groups will be blessed with this new resource for spiritual growth.
I recommend it highly.
- Ron Highfield, Ph.D., Professor of Religion, Seaver College, Pepperdine University